Monday, November 28, 2011

Conferences or MFA?

Since 2006 I've gone to a few writing conferences.  On the one hand, there is a real sense of community at these events and the instructors are usually brimming with good advice.  On the other, they take place for a very limited amount of time and as a result, may not provide all that's needed to improve.  Seeking an MFA, low-residency or full time, probably does provide a sense of community with instruction over time that might make a real difference.  The drawback of an MFA is the amount of time and money needed to pursue this degree (and the unlikeliness it will end in decent work).  In my case, I haven't been able to pursue a MFA for various reasons, and I've more or less been o.k. with conferences despite their limited usefulness.  I hope I've gotten better (although I haven't really published anymore).  I do, wonder, though, whether I would make some true leaps in my writing with the MFA, or whether I'm partially brainwashed into thinking so.  I'm sure everyone has different kinds of experience with this.   

4 comments: