Saturday, November 26, 2011

Working on Revisions of Poems

One of the things I find hardest to do is revising my work.  I've read essays and interviews by poets who say they find this one of the most rewarding elements of writing poetry.  And of course, many poets say without revising you just won't get published.  I agree with its importance.  I've asked fellow writers for ideas and made attempts to work on my work.  Unfortunately, I've just found it near impossible in many instances.  Additionally, most of the poems I've published have been lightly revised, if at all.  It lets me get away with the bad habit of not making an effort.  I have yet to be able to cut "my darlings" in the way I'd like, or get the proper distance to see what's wrong with the poem.  I've heard, though, it's good to re-type your poems, and editing that way.  Or cutting up lines of the poem and assembling it in a different order.  I'm sure there are many other methods.  Whatever works, works, is what I say.  Feel free to share your own.

3 comments:

  1. I don't agree with the some who say revising is fun but I do find great joy and pride when it results in beautiful art. But this emotion is fleeting like everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Life has really good rhythm especially at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are on to something when you say that most of your published poems have been lightly revised - I'm the same way. I find that when a poem I write really needs a lot of revision, by the time I'm done hacking away, much of the original energy has been lost. Usually I end up just saving any good images/lines, and starting anew.

    ReplyDelete